A book of extremely useful d12 charts alerted me to the fact that my campaign has a leftover fortress world hanging around somewhere in the night sky.
What is it? Let's roll a D10 and find out:
1. An orbital super weapon terraformed by Elves long ago. Now a pristine, forested moon, it is home to a race of aloof High Elven types. But they are besieged by attacks from the insane, biomechanical Drow living just below the surface.
2. A stranded battleworld trapped in your planet's gravity well. Its clone gladiators await...
1) worthy opponents to test their ancient mettle
2) repairs to get them back on the Galactic Battle Circuit
3) a messiah to lead them against the forces of Chaos
4) strong genetic material to refresh the amniotic vats (which have been pumping out Mutoids for a while now)
3. The largest piece of debris in the Orbital Rust Belt (roll on that table and extrapolate something)
4. A decrepit space hulk of the Dinosaur Imperium. Its cold blooded serpent soldiers lie dormant until the geodesic dome above the Terror Terrarium can be repaired.
5. The time-distorted remains of a transport ship that a previous race tried to use to escape the campaign world aeons ago.
6. The head of an ancient Cosmic God That Could Not Survive A Lawsuit From The Jack Kirby Estate. Speaking of Celestials, The Dreaming Celestial is named Tiamut. That name reminds me of something....hmmm....
7. A branch of the Celephais Library System. Its volumes are said to contain the esoteric lore of a thousand dead worlds.
8. Nevermind, it's just the station from the Albuquerque Starport. Hopefully one of the PCs comes back wearing a Dead Kennedy's amulet.
9. The remains of a Suncrusher used by man man in his desperation to cut off Serpentkind's powersource. 50% chance it was never used but still active, 50% chance it succeeded and the campaign begins under a dead sun.
10. Secret holdfast of the superwizards, a magical Illuminati and the secret gods of the campaign world. Their existence is merely a rumor until someone in the party gains access to 9th level spells, at which point they appear to offer a seat on their council.