General observations about seeing John Williams conduct the Oregon Symphony tonight:
- It is impossible to avoid mentally superimposing The Crawl above an orchestra playing the Star Wars theme.
- John Williams anecdotally refers to Yoda as “The elder wizard character from the second film”.
- The theme from Close Encounters is badass.
- The moment when the Eliot’s bicycles takes flight in E.T. is so emotionally tied to the score that hearing it live sans picture actually had the same effect as when I saw that scene in the theater at age 7.
- Don’t worry about not seeing Indiana Jones listed in the program. There will be an encore.
- John Williams is not the sort of Maestro who is afraid to follow the Indiana Jones encore with the theme from the NBC Nightly News.